- Understand the security vulnerabilities and risks associated with Data Storage and Retrieval.
- Learn about different methodologies and tools to protect data from breaches and unauthorized access.
- Develop and implement security strategies for data storage, retrieval, and backup to ensure data integrity and confidentiality.
- Test the efficacy of the data storage and retrieval security measures under realistic, simulated attack scenarios.
- Enhance the team’s skillsets in managing cyber threats and defending the organization’s data infrastructure.
- ProSoft Inc., a leading software development firm, is concerned about the growing threats and vulnerabilities related to data storage and retrieval in its expanding ecosystem. The company hosts a myriad of sensitive project data, client information, and proprietary scripts & codes stored across multi-cloud environments, edge servers, and local data centers.
- Recently, the company has faced a few attempts of data breaches that were thankfully intercepted in time. However, these incidents have sparked serious concerns about the present security measures’ effectiveness. Thus, ProSoft Inc. has planned a Cyber Range Exercise named ‘Secure Data Storage and Retrieval.’ The main objective is to test, strengthen, and validate their security protocols in a controlled, replicated environment.
- For the scenario, the selected team will be confronted with an advanced attack orchestrated by a malicious attacker group named ‘Shadow Syndicate.’ This group specializes in sophisticated attacks to exploit security vulnerabilities in data storage systems, to not only steal valuable information but also cause server disruption leading to significant business impacts. Shadow Syndicate will try to breach into ProSoft’s data storage systems, target confidential project data, and sensitive client information.
- The practicality of this exercise lies in its ability to ensure ProSoft’s cyber resilience, train the in-house security team, help them understand the tactics, techniques, and procedures used by the attackers, and correctly tackle such a sophisticated attack.
- Data Security and Protection
Exercise Attack Steps
- Initial Breach: The Shadow Syndicate will attempt to gain initial access into ProSoft’s network through phishing or scheme-like methods aimed at the employees.
- Internal Reconnaissance: After gaining a foothold in one of the systems, the attackers will perform network enumeration activities to gather information about the network’s structure, its data storage systems, and identify potential targets.
- Exploitation: Using the vulnerability information obtained, the attackers will attempt to escalate privileges and exploit vulnerabilities in the data storage and retrieval systems.
- Exfiltration: The attackers try to exfiltrate valuable data to an external storage or terminal set up by themselves.
- Erasure of Traces: Lastly, the attackers would try to clean logs, alter system files and functions to erase their breadcrumbs and maintain persistence.
The defenders’ role at ProSoft is to simulate the real-time detection, mitigation, and prevention of these steps using various cybersecurity tools and methodologies. The exercise’s success would be measured based on the security team’s effectiveness in defending the system and their ability to minimize potential damage.